Recreational and Leisure Services
BICR provides service and support to individuals who are interested in accessing and expanding social and recreational opportunities within the community.
A quarterly publication entitled Learning and Leisure Guide along with a Recreation Calendar provides an outline of recreational and therapeutic group activities being offered. Ongoing groups include:
- WRAP (Work, Rest and Play), this group operates in partnership with the Niagara Parks Commission. BICR participants volunteer weekly to assist in seeding in greenhouses and maintaining gardens on the grounds.
- Men and Women’s social and support groups.
- Canoeing, Darts, Music Trivia, and Bingo events.
Day trip and vacation opportunities throughout the year include:
- Sporting events (i.e. Blue Jays game, Hamilton Tiger Cats, Toronto Rock Lacrosse, as well as other local professional sporting events).
- Museums and cultural activities (i.e. Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Centre, Performing Arts Center). Theme parks and fall fairs (i.e. Canada’s Wonderland, Marineland, Balls Falls Art Festival, Welland Food Festival).
- Vacations are offered to Geneva Park in Orillia where individuals can relax with a book under a shady tree or complete a craft, take a nature hike, swim and canoe on the calm lake of Geneva Park. Planned vacations to Mexico and Cuba have been arranged at the request of participants.